- This event has passed.
Advanced Framing for Energy and Resource Efficiency
December 9, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
This class covers advanced designs and construction methods for optimizing building enclosures. It enables architects and builders overcome the common hurdles of implementing advanced framing in residential and low-rise commercial wood framed buildings.
- Define building enclosure performance criteria based on what has been learned from diagnostic testing.
- Explain how, with proper installation and performance testing, optimized wall framing can result in high performance building envelopes.
- Summarize how excessive architectural complexity can make it almost impossible to properly air seal and insulate building enclosures, having seen examples of good architectural design and detailing that simplifies maintaining continuity of water, air, and thermal barriers.
- Apply hands-on exercise in laying out exterior wall framing for energy and material savings.
- Overview & Objectives
- Criteria for building enclosures
- Alternative construction / structural options – framed and non-framed
- Performance evaluation tools – blower door and infrared analysis
- High seismic zones structural aid
- Reducing construction waste
- Case Studies
- Hands-on framing factor exercise
About the Instructor
Steve Easley is an internationally recognized construction consultant specializing in solving building science related problems and educating building industry professionals. His work focuses on increasing quality of construction, sustainability, and reducing costly mistakes that lead to construction defects and call backs.
He has more than 30 years of industry experience, and 10 years as a tenured Professor of Building Construction and Contracting at Purdue University. He is a nationally known speaker on the subject of cost effective, practical approaches to quality assurance, and high performance buildings.
Note: Class materials including the presentation file will be shared the morning of or the night before the class date via Box (file sharing). If you would like to follow along and view the presentation file or add notes within the file during class, please bring a laptop or a tablet to class.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- BIG – 6.5
- BPI – 3
Audience Level = Advanced
Enroll for this course on the PG&E Website: HERE