- This event has passed.
Enclosure Systems and Materials: Architectural Precast
October 15, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
The number of building enclosure systems and materials available for designers can be dizzying. This is the second of three sessions on enclosures led by RDH Building Science examining key considerations designers and builders need to understand for several cladding systems common in nonresidential and multi-family buildings in California. In this session Colin Shane from RDH reviews building science fundamentals, provides local case studies, and summarizes standard practices, best practices, and modes of failure and risk management considerations for architectural precast enclosures.
- Explain building science fundamentals relating to heat, air, and water penetration control for architectural precast facades.
- Identify the interrelated design considerations surrounding condensation control, fire propagation, procurement and warranties when designing architectural precast facades.
- Describe the behavior of typical architectural precast systems under live load and seismic loading, and how this impacts interface details.
- Explore options for accurately predicting the thermal performance of architectural precast facades to meet project energy performance goals.
- Architectural Precast Enclosures
- Building science fundamentals
- Local case studies
- Standard practices
- Best practices
- Modes of failure and risk management considerations
About the Instructor
Colin Shane is a Professional Engineer in the United States and Canada and provides operational and project leadership in the San Francisco Bay Area office. Colin has a broad knowledge of building construction and applies building science principles to analyze and design durable, energy-efficient building enclosures. He shares his experience by regularly speaking about topics related to building enclosures at events across the United States and contributes to industry organizations with the aim of making buildings better. Colin began his career with RDH in Vancouver before transferring to the San Francisco Bay Area and now plays a key role as part of the leadership team for our California operations.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
AIA – HSW – 2
BIG – 2
BOC – 1 hour of class time = 1 BOC CEU
Photo credit: https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Precast_concrete_cladding